Saturday 16 March 2013

SIMPLICITY


I'm not sure how or why this happened, but in the past year some things undeniably changed when it comes to my personal style, and my current obsession is one that I never saw coming: simplicity. 
As a teenager, I saw clothing as something that could be used to make life more colourful, figuratively and literally. I refused to wear black and whenever I went shopping (which was more often than I'd like to admit) I made it my mission to buy as many colourful prints as possible. The result? A wardrobe full of pieces that looked horribly ugly when combined.

But in the past year or so, things have changed. A lot of firsts were purchased: a white t-shirt, black skinny jeans, some basic sweaters, etcetera. The picture above, of the girl wearing a white t-shirt and not much else? That's my idea of perfection these days. And my own outfit right now? Black skinnyjeans, a grey sweater and the most simple pair of ankle boots I could find  (the weather here doesn't really accomodate for just a white t-shirt yet). Who would've thought. Now it could just be because I'm not a teenager anymore, and well, people tend to calm down a little bit as they get older, but I have a feeling there's more to it. Simplicity seems to have gained more followers all over the world. A result of the recession? A year or two back, when the recession was still in full swing and not such old news yet, I read several articles about the influence of the economic crisis on fashion. The authors wrote about a sense of austerity showing up on the catwalks and in the streets, with consumers looking to buy items that were actually worth their money. Quality and timelessness became bigger players in the world of fashion than before. I wasn't one hundred percent convinced then, but I am starting to see it all around me.

Personally, I noticed that developing a stronger sense of personal style brings me peace. A white t-shirt will never go out of style. I can get comfortable in it, let it grow on me. I can wear it in a thousand different ways, or I can just combine it with my favorite pair of jeans over and over again. It will still be there for me next season, and the season after that, and the season after that. The same goes for my black skinny jeans, my denim shorts, and even my favorite leather jacket that has been with me for several years now. Slowly but surely, my wardrobe has filled up with classics like these and I absolutely love it. Buying a new dress might have me jumping with joy for a moment, but finding the perfect pair of ankle boots that I know will serve me for a long time to come brings me a sense of contentment that stays with me for much longer than just a moment.

So here's to simplicity, and managing to look utterly cool in a mere white t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel like joining the conversation?

Next previous home
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...